Thursday, February 15, 2007

Vultures indeed

Being as far from financially savvy as I am - given the choice I'd keep my money in a tin box - I had never heard of vulture funds before I read this news article on the BBC.

The little I learned about vulture funds was enough to make me sick to the pit of my stomach. These people buy up the debts of the poorest of nations just as they are about to be written off and then sue the country for the full amount plus interest. They are no better than the animals who stole trinkets off tsunami victims.
However an equal share of the blame belongs to the callous bankers who allow these 'vultures' to acquire the debts of poor nations. They are no better than the criminals who put guns into the hands of children and turn away, blind to the consequences of their actions.
All I feel at this point is anger and helplessness but this issue must not be allowed to be swept under the carpet. Something needs to be done. I wish I knew what.

No comments: