Thursday, January 11, 2007

jubilé argenté

What is the reason for the existence of this blog? While walking home one particularly delightful evening enjoying the sunset and contemplating whatever a man of my infinite frivolousness would contemplate, I made an arbitrary decision that my writing skills, feeble and rusty as they had become, did not deserve to die a slow, silent death in the darkness. Thus was born into existence an idea that has since become Macnife speaks… crap.

By the time I’d dusted my pen and started writing my very first post, I realized that a blog would serve as more than just a writing workbook. It would provide me with a medium for much-needed periodic release of the junk that accumulates in my mind but more importantly, it would afford me a certain unique freedom – I could just dump my thoughts out there instead of writing them down in notebooks that I invariably lost track of, as I had previously done. While I would be able, through my blog, to share my ideas freely with anyone with the inclination and time to spare, the fulfillment I gained from writing would not be contingent to the existence of such beings. It was a win-win situation for me.

I started blogging with earnest vigor but at the back of my mind was always the apprehension that my inertia would overcome all other concerns after a few posts and my blog would be consigned, as was many an interest in the past, to a dark dusty corner of my mind that I refer to as the desert of dreams that could have been, never to be disturbed again. Thankfully, that has not come to pass, at least not yet. 25 posts in 6 months and a score of days… that is consistence uncharacteristic of me and I’m quite pleased with myself.

If you have read any of my previous posts, you may feel compelled to ask me what I think I have accomplished to feel so smug about - aside from speeding up the inexorable increase of the entropy of the universe and adding to the endless loads of crap that burden the Internet. Well, my intentions never reached beyond merely giving my thoughts form that their existence may be less ephemeral. It was also never my intention to choose my ideas for meaningful content from the point of view of the average reader. My goal was merely to write, which I have thus far accomplished and myself-willing, shall continue to do so. This blog is among several things, all of them rather recent, that represent the departure of my life from its previously consistent pattern - coulda, shoulda, woulda, didn't - and for that I am glad indeed!

PS. I do not know any French beyond the few words I've picked up from restaurant menus. The title was a translation from English, achieved through a most judicious use of the Altavista Babelfish program.

No comments: